The City of Toronto is divided into 44 Wards and our community is named York Centre, Ward 9. This area is bounded by Jane Street to the west, Hwy 401 to the south, Grandravine Drive to the north, and Allen Road to the east.
Throughout the Downsview community various sites act as markers that hold historical significance. These sites along with recent innovations, bring life and character to the area. Some of these special sites include the Downsview Memorial Parkette at the Keele St. and Wilson Ave. intersection, the Uno Prii Buildings on Jane St. at Exbury Dr., and Downsview United Church on Keele St, originally built in 1870. These sites and many other local assets contribute to the beauty and importance of our community.
The name Downsview was established by the local farmer and Justice of the Peace John Perkins Bull, who settled in the area in about 1842 and named his farm Downs View as it was situated at one of the highest elevations in the City, overlooking the rolling hills and apple orchards that lead towards the City.
Downsview has become a wonderfully diverse community that continues to grow and flourish.